This past Sunday, I talked about the fact that, when Christ reproduces His character in us, that action serves as evidence of genuine salvation. But it's not the only evidence. Let me give you 6 evidences that can help you develop a greater security in your faith and a greater motivation to live out your Christian life every day.
1. The Bible's Promise and Authority. We understand salvation because the Bible teaches us that, through repentance and faith, we are given God's gift. 1 John 5:13: I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God , so that you may know that you have eternal life.
2. The Work of Christ on the Cross. Jesus' death is enough - nothing more needs to be added to His sacrifice. Romans 4:25: He was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.
3. The Presence of the Holy Spirit. God placed His Spirit in our lives in order to guarantee our salvation and to give assurance of eternal life. Romans 8:16: The Spirit Himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God's children.
4. The Action of Repentance and Faith. Once we hear the gospel, we respond to it by repenting of our sins and trusting in Christ as Savior, as we are told to in the Scripture. Mark 1:15: " The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe in the good news!"
5. The Lordship of Christ. If you have trusted in Christ as Savior, you will also make Him the Lord of your life - and decision of the will that leads to obedience. 1 John 2:3 This is how we are sure that we have come to know Him: by keeping His commands.
6. The Response of Love. When we know Christ's sacrifice, the natural response to His love is that we love others in the same way: Unconditionally. 1 John 3:14: We know that we have passed from death to life because we love our brothers.
Take time to check out each of these characteristics in your life - including the fact that Christ reproduces His character in you. When Satan attacks, run to the Scripture. God's Word should always be the foundation for our lives.